Saturday, October 19, 2013

Some marbles are more equal than others…

Hmmm…I got to think of better titles. 
Anyway.
In a previous post I my first attempt at trying to fuse marbles.  Well this is my second shot and it’s been an interesting ride. 
Here are the victims before they were committed to the flames.
BLOG_Mar1
The results were a mixed bag.  Here are some pics of the ones that came out “OK”.  I put and unfired marble to show how they looked before.
BLOG_Mar2
BLOG_Mar3
The blue marbles ended up with a fair amount of devit on them and they wouldn’t fuse evenly for some reason.
BLOG_Mar4
Here are the ones that bombed.
Two of the Transparent marbles shattered while heating up. 
BLOG_Mar6
In addition they all suffered thermal shock on the cool down.
BLOG_Mar7
The black and orange marbles suffered a different form of thermal shock.  The colored glass seemed to from a thin delicate crust that shattered.
BLOG_Mar5
BLOG_Mar8
Over all I’m a bit disappointed at how they turned out.  The patterns weren’t nearly as interesting as I thought even on the ones that didn’t fail.  I only fused half of the marbles I had.  I'll try another batch and use a schedule that is even more conservative than the one I originally used.
RAMP TARGET TEMP HOLD
150 900 30
200 1100 30
200 1250 30
FULL 1275 15
FULL 960 45
75 800 0
100 700 0
200 200 0
TTFN!
Blogger Labels: Firing Schedule,Fuse,marble,glass,thermal shock

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I had no idea you could fuse marbles. I think they look really cool. Hope you figure out the annealing process.

    ReplyDelete