Thursday, October 17, 2013

First pot melt

During the process of acquiring glass gear I decided to pick up a Slumpy’s 6 inch mini pot melt.  Here’s my first stab at one.

Here’s El Potto!

BLOG_pot1

Here’s the glass I used: Clear, White, Green, Orange, and Dark Red.

BLOG_pot2

I cleaned all the pieces off with Isopropyl Alcohol (probably overkill).

BLOG_pot3

Here’s how I arranged the glass. You only need to arrange it if you want to try to control where the color goes (more of less).  It’s all pretty random.

BLOG_pot4

Ready for toasting!

BLOG_pot5

And here is the result!  Looks pretty slick.

BLOG_pot6

A Close-up of some of the detail.

BLOG_pot7

I got a little bit overzealous on how much glass I put in.  I was wanting to end up with a disk about 6mm thick.  but I ended up putting in the maximum suggested amount of glass: 1.5 pounds. 

Dang!  That’s the last time I’ll read the label.

Ooof!

BLOG_pot8

D’oh!

BLOG_pot9

The piece ended up being about 15 millimeters thick.  I don’t have a glass saw so I couldn't cut it up for pattern bars. I didn’t want to smash it up and make cabochons out of it so I decided to take it up to a full fuse so see how well it would flatten out to 6mm.  If it turns out ok I’ll slump it into a plate.  I also regret using the dark red.  It looks like a muddy brown when fused/melted. Oh well.

Stay tuned…

Blogger Labels: Pot Melt,Red,glass,Slumpy,Clear,White,Orange,disk

No comments:

Post a Comment