Saturday, September 14, 2013

Welcome to my Lair

So why am I doing this? This is probably the fourth or fifth attempt at writing a blog over the past 10 years or so. All the rest have been smothered in a fog of “Gee I don’t know what to talk about now” or else I started to feel like I was back in school writing a report; every word needed to be weighed and agonized over. What a drag. Anyway…
This is my glass fusing blog. So how did I stumble upon this new and wonderful hobby? My wife can take the hit for that. About three months or so ago she was “smitten” with art (she minored in it in college) and started getting into making necklaces and painting. While she was perusing a local craft store she spotted the Fuseworks microwave kiln kit and was intrigued by it. She floated the idea of getting one and so I got one from Amazon.
I had dabbled in artsy fartsy stuff over the years and have been an avid Model Railroader for the past 15 years or so with a fairly popular (within the niche) YouTube Channel. For whatever reason (probably mid life BS) I was burning out on model railroading and had been trying to figure out what I wanted to do next. From the moment the first piece came out of the kiln I had an “Oh baby where have you been all my life” moment of epiphany and it’s been all downhill since. Within about 4 weeks I had a corner of my basement remodeled into a kiln room/glass studio and haven’t looked back since.
My ultimate goal is to build up a small cottage business selling fused wares with the goal that by the time I’m ready to retire I’ll have it built up enough that I can avoid being a door greeter at Wal-Mart for the final third of my existence. Of course, with any business start-up, we’ll see how that goes. But in the meantime welcome to my corner of the glass fusing universe.

[Update 09/26/2013] Well...this isn't going to be exclusively my blog.  Marica (my wife) will post from time to time with what she's doing with painting and beading.


2 comments:

  1. Glad to see your still around , thanks for thanks rr videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just letting you know you influenced A LOT of people with your railroading Vids... We miss you BigE!

    ReplyDelete