Thursday, July 31, 2014

Wow…May 27th…has it really been that long.

It’s been a  while since I posted.  The problem with blogging is that there are days when I can think of better things to do; the act of writing often feels like drudgery.  But enough wining for now.

I haven't been firing up the kiln quite as often mainly because I’ve been doing more complex pieces.  Take this one for instance:

BLOG_Complex1

This took a couple of weeks for this one to come together.  I like the concept and design (but don’t look to closely at the soldering job ;-/)

BLOG_Complex2

BLOG_Complex3

BLOG_Complex4

BLOG_Complex5

It was a good learning experience.   The biggest problem I ran into was the gaps between the pieces were to big. I had cut the paper templates using a patter shear that left a 1/32nd inch gap.  Well that was too big. The second mistake I made was doing the initial soldering too fast.  The gaps didn’t fill properly so when I flipped the piece over to do the back there nice deep channels for the flux to fill and I ended up with solder that constantly bubbled and erupted. Not fun.  I was being a bit paranoid because I didn’t want to overheat the glass and cause it to crack. But in spite of the drama I’m relatively pleased with how it turned out. 

I took what I learned and applied it to this next piece I made for my sister. 

BLOG_Complex6

Here’s the finished piece.  The soldering job is much cleaner.

BLOG_Complex7

Now I had a whole ton of white glass scrap from cutting the pieces for the circle and I had no clue what to do with it. I finally got the idea to do this:

BLOG_Complex8

I first fused a 10 inch blank consisting of transparent and white glass scrap, transparent  frit with pieces of medium colored frit scattered throughout. I then took some of the thinner pieces of scrap and arranged them in the pattern you see above.  Once I had the overall pattern I wanted I took all the pieces off and grouped them together on a piece of paper and sprinkled powered frit over the pieces to create the rainbow hue.  Using a pair of tweezers I picked up each piece and put it back on the blank.  I then put the whole thing the kiln and did a tack fuse.  Next I slumped the whole piece in a shallow bowl mold.

 BLOG_Complex9

Now lately I’ve two projects in the works. I’ve been fusing tiles like crazy to make more wall hangings like the one above.

BLOG_Complex10

BLOG_Complex10a

An this is another beast I have in process.  I had gotten some French curves and put them to use here.

BLOG_Complex11

This time I didn’t use a pattern shear to cut out the templates and after a fair amount of grinding the pieces fit together much tighter.  I’ll be using powered frit to create the same kind of gradient effect like I did on the circle piece.  I’ll be posting my progress. Well I’m done for now.

Night all!

1 comment:

  1. You do really gorgeous work! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete